To get good and well matured poultry birds with less or lower mortality, diseases in and around the poultry farm should be prevented or at least controlled to a certain level if not at maximum level. Diseases or infection can cause high mortality in poultry farm and might even lead to bankruptcy if nothing is done to cub the effect. Poultry diseases also affects bird’s growth and development. There are many ways a birds can contact diseases or infection and might spread across the entire farm especially and airborne type of disease. Once this disease affects a bird, it can be transferred to other birds in the same pen with the infected birds unless it’s noticed and treated immediately. One of the disadvantage of these disease is that some of them can be treated while some others will be managed until the birds are grown and sold for money or meat. Meanwhile in this article, we shall be looking at ways to control or prevent diseases from entering our poultry farm.
Below are some of the ways to handle a poultry farm to prevent or control diseases or infection from attacking your farm.
- Clean sanitary conditions of poultry farm apparatus and equipment can prevent diseases and infection from infecting the birds. After each equipment is used, it should be washed and left to dry before re-use.
- Poultry feces if infected can spread disease and infection from one batch to another especially when not properly disposed and also its good to always try to keep the litter dry.
- Whenever a bird dies, such bird should be immediately removed from the pen and probably sent to a laboratory to determine the possible cause of death of the bird. Also record the symptoms noticed and the lab result for future purposes.
- Any left-over vaccine should be properly disposed properly away from the farm as expired vaccine can cause disease or infection to the birds. Vaccination drugs should never be used after it has expired. Medication or treatment be administered to the bird according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Birds showing serious signs of any disease or infection should be separated and sent to qualified veterinary doctor.
- Entry of visitors to the poultry farm should be avoided and if they should step into the farm, a foot wear should be provided for them to use, apron has to be provided and their feet should be dipped into a disinfected water before and after entering the farm.
- Always ensure the use high quality and well preserved vaccines purchased from reputable store. Vaccines should be Kept vaccines in cool and dry place.
- Mild infection or disease should be treated immediately as it may cause retarded growth even if it didn’t cause mortality.
- Drinking waters in pen should be changed each morning and medicine be administered in measured quantity according to the vet’s specification.
- Avoid rats from entering the pen, rats are good carriers of diseases or infection and might infect the birds with disease. Ensure every holes in the pen is closed with proper material that can prevent rat from entering the pen.
- Many poultry medicines can be given in drinking water. When medication is to be given, remove the vaccine container from the pen immediately after use.
- Keep proper records of death and its possible causes and treatment given to birds to stop such infection. This is because should such symptoms presents itself another time, the records will help the farmer to determine what to administer immediately and also never forget to keep vaccination dates.
Leave a Reply